- Performance Apprentices - Part-time, unpaid apprenticeship positions for rehearsal and performance, starting May 12, 2016 (average two-days-per-week). After the 14-week apprenticeship, candidates may be offered full membership in the company with paid teaching & performance opportunities.
- Guest Artists - Part-time positions for rehearsal and various performances TBD (generally one-day-per week), starting May 12, concluding August 13. Artists will perform in the 5-Year Anniversary NY Season at the Irondale Center, August 11 - 13, 2016. Small stipend TBD.
Please note: There is no advance registration or appointments.
Please show up to one of our workshop-style open calls.
Please arrive no later than the specified start time to register and warm-up. Attendees may attend EITHER audition day (4/23 or 4/26), but MUST be prepared to stay the entire time (and ideally to return on Thursday, April 26 if invited to callbacks) in order to be considered for a position.
WHERE: The Ume Group School at Grace & St. Paul’s Church
123 West 71st Street, New York, NY 10023
(1, 2, 3, C, or B trains to 72nd Street.)
WHO: We are interested in seeing MALE & FEMALE physical performers, ages 18+, with strong backgrounds in acting, clowning, or commedia del arte. Experience with acrobatics, yoga and butoh dance is also encouraged, but not required. You must be comfortable with rolls, weight sharing, lifts, falls and aerobic activity. You MUST be available for the majority of the classes, rehearsals, and performances listed here.
Auditioners should be particularly suited for the following roles in our show “Lysistrata Project” (a Commedia Dell’Arte-styled adaptation of Aristophanes’ Lysistrata)...
- Harruk - Age 18 - 28, a zanni (lower-class) lover. Ambiguously foreign accent and mannerisms. Wears a turban and a judo outfit. Formerly a shepherd in the middle east, he is now the servant and bumbling assassin to a Capitano-inspired financial tycoon, Ahmadd Nakamura.
- Dr. Bartholomew James Lewis, Esquire, M.D., E.D.M., W.H.N.P. - Age 28, a variation on the Dottore (doctor) stock character. An unnaturally well-credentialed, yet socially awkward adult man who lives at home with his rich father. Has crush on his hot step-mother. Rat-like movements and behavior.
- Ensemble & Understudy for Clarice & Lyzzie - CLARICE: Age 20 - 30, the much younger 2nd wife to a wealthy businessman. A Rosaura stock character type. Loves sex, money, and to play tricks. LYZZIE: A Colombina, the servant to a wealthy bussinesman, loves playing tricks and plotting mischief, not well-read, but definitely street smart.
- Ensemble & Understudy for Noemi - NOEMI: Age 18 - 22, the young daughter of Ahmaad Nakamura, financial tycoon. She is a lover, and pines for her father's surly (albeit thick-headed) assistant Harruk. Well educated and outspoken.
- Clothes that you find comfortable and easy to move in.
- A performance resume AND a teaching resume if you have one.
- A recent photo or headshot.
About The Ume Group